There exist many other vector graphics editors beyond Illustrator which might be worth investigating. Maybe you don't have the budget for Illustrator, maybe it doesn't have particular features you're looking for, or maybe you've tried it and it just doesn't feel right. Here's a list of our favorite alternatives.
- Inkscape - A completely free and open-source editor, which uses the ubiquitous .SVG format as its native filetype. Compatible with Mac, Linux, and Windows.
- Vectr - Slick, new cross-platform editor designed with simplicity in mind. Available for Mac, Linux, Windows, and Chromebook.
- Janvas - Surprisingly fast web-based vector editor. No downloading required, but you will need an internet connection.
- CorelDRAW - This Windows-only app was first released in 1989, making it almost as old as Adobe Illustrator itself! Probably the second most popular vector illustration software out there, with a large and dedicated fanbase.
- Sketch - A relatively new Mac-only editor, with lots of features and conveniences tailored to design for apps and the web.
- Affinity Designer - Really affordable Mac-only editor with very unique interface and great file type compatibility.
- Xara Photo & Graphic Designer - A unique, affordable, and surprisingly robust Windows-only editor popular with illustrators.