The Veterinarian's Oath concludes "I accept as a lifelong obligation the continual improvement of my professional knowledge and competence," and the Penn Veterinary Library is committed to help you fulfill that aim.
- You'll always be welcome at the Vet library. Remember that building access requires a student/staff PennCard so please time your visits for normal working hours. Evening and weekend access may be available via the Van Pelt library .
- The library staff is here to help. If you are navigating new information territory and would like a refresher guide, don't hesitate to ask.
While license restrictions limit nearly all of our electronic subscriptions to current Penn students and staff or to on-campus use, some options are available:
- To use the computers in the Vet Library or other Penn Libraries, alumni must have (1) an Alumni PennCard and (2) a one-day credential. Credentials are issued at Van Pelt library to the first 10 alumni requesting each day. More information....
- Consider our copy service. You may order copies of articles in our collections to be delivered to you electronically through the Penn Vet Alumni Copy Service for $4/article.
- The Penn libraries have purchased alumni subscriptions to general interest online databases with some full text, including some veterinary and medical titles.
- Your RefWorks bibliographic management account will remain available after graduation.
- PubMed, Agricola, Consultant and IVIS are free online. New grads may purchase a subscription to VetMed (version of CAB Abstracts limited to veterinary topics) or a discounted subscription to VIN (Veterinary Information Network).
- Alumni who would like to borrow materials from the Library may apply for courtesy borrowing privileges at the special alumni rate of $200.00 per year. An Alumni PennCard is required. To apply, visit the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Circulation desk or call (215) 898-7556 for information.