Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What are Citation Alerts?
Citation alerts let you know when a specific publication is cited by a new article in that same database. Some databases allow you to create citation alerts.
Citation Alerts to Altmetric mentions
Alerts can be set up for non-traditional mentions or uses of articles. Altmetric data records views, mentions, times saved, cited, and recommended on social platforms like Facebook, Mendeley, and Twitter. From a database, such as Franklin Articles+, or a publisher platform, follow the Altmetric graphic to the Altmetrics site. Then click on the Alert me about new mentions icon and enter your email address.
Altmetric email alerts contain a link to: Click here to stop getting updates for this article
Selected Publishers offering Citation Alerts
To set up a citation alert, click on Citation Alert button when viewing an individual record.
On a record page, click the add alert (bell image) on the right. Creation of an individual account is necessary.
Taylor & Francis
When viewing an article record, click "Alert Me," then Citation Email Alert or Citation RSS Feed
Wiley Online Library
When viewing an article, click "Get Citation Alerts."
Citation Alerts through Scopus
Connect to Scopus
- On the Document details page, click Set citation alert on the right of the page.
- Login with your Elsevier account (you must create a free individual account)
- Keep the default name or create a new name for the alert.
- Enter the email address(es) to which alerts should be sent.
- Choose frequency, format, and status
- Click Set Alert.
- Click the Alerts bar at screen top to modify Alerts.
Citation Alerts through Web of Science
Connect to Web of Science
- Access the Full Record of an article.
- On the Full Record page, click the Create Citation Alert link on the righ
- Log into your Web of Science account. YOu must create a free WOS account to create alerts.
- On the Create Citation Alerts pop-up, Choose email, select format, note expiration date of one year, click Create Citation Alert.
- Click Close.
If a record does not have a Create Citation Alert button, it does not contain sufficient information for the alerting system to connect it to references cited by other articles.
Citation Alerts through Google Scholar
Connect to Google Scholar
To create an alert for articles citing a particular paper:
- Find the paper in Google Scholar.
- Click on the “Cited by” link below the search result.
- Click envelope on the left side of the screen.