Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Policy and Procedures
The Penn Libraries is committed to providing a safe environment conducive to study and research. All patrons who reserve a seat must comply with the following regulations.
- All current students will be eligible to reserve seats. This includes undergraduate, graduate, and professional students.
- Patrons must comply with Penn's COVID-19 testing protocols and show both a confirmed reservation and a PennOpen Green pass, valid for the day of their reservation, for entry. A PennCard will be required for swipe access to the space.
- Each individual may reserve one seat per day for a minimum of 1 hour and up to 3 hours.
- Reservations must made no less than 12 hours in advance.
- Patrons may cancel their reservations if needed. The Libraries requests cancellations be made 24 hours in advance or more, if possible, so the seat can be re-opened for another student.
Using the Space
- Patrons must abide by all safety precautions described in the Student Campus Compact, including wearing face coverings and adhering to social distancing requirements.
- No food or drink is permitted in the study space, including water.
- This space will operate as a quiet study area. Cell phone calls must be taken outside the building.
- If a patron needs to briefly leave the building, they may return within their reservation window. A PennOpen Green Pass and reservation confirmation must be shown for re-entry.
- The library remains otherwise closed to patrons at this time. There will be no patron access to book stacks. With the exception of equipment in the Butler Assistive Technology Room, library computers (including laptop loans), chargers, scanners, or any other technological equipment will not be available for use. Mark's Café also remains closed.
- Each patron must stay in the seat assigned to them. We ask that patrons avoid leaving their seats to move around the study space except when using the restroom or printer.
- Patrons must wipe down their workspace after use. Sanitizing wipes will be provided.
- Patrons must leave promptly when their reservations expire.
- Policies and procedures apply to all study spaces, including individual study rooms.
The Penn Libraries will refer violations of the Student Campus Compact to the University’s Compact Review Panel. Patrons who do not comply with the Libraries’ guidelines for space usage will be asked to leave the space and may be prevented from making future seat reservations.