Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Penn Libraries Student Employment Guidelines: Time and Money

Questions about time, payment, etc?

Contact the Penn Employee Solution Center

One Call. One Team. One Penn.


Time Commitment

Managing your Time and Priorities:

As a student, school work is your first priority, but you are still expected to work your scheduled hours at the library, and to inform your supervisor if you will be absent, in advance. By your first day of work, make sure to get contact information for your direct supervisor and ask about procedures for absences, getting subs, taking breaks, submitting timesheets, etc. If you need to cut back on your hours or change your schedule, discuss it with your supervisor right away. Repeated absences from work are cause for termination of employment.


Student workers (work-study or non-work-study) are required to take an unpaid break or lunch of at least one-half hour after five consecutive hours of work (taken from the University's Student Employment Handbook).


Student workers (work-study and non work-study) wages are subject to the same federal, state, and local income taxes as any other earned income. However, students enrolled in classes and working for the University are exempt from the 6.20% Social Security (FICA) Tax and 1.45% Medicare Tax deductions.

International students have the same taxes withheld that United States students do. Students who are from countries that have a tax treaty with the United States may be able to claim a refund of the taxes withheld when filing their yearly income tax returns.

If you have additional questions about taxes, you may find more information from these offices:

Student Employment Office

Tax Information for International Students and Scholars

Payroll/Tax Office

W-2 Forms

In late January, W-2 forms are mailed to your permanent address as listed in the payroll system. If you do not receive your W-2 in the mail, you can view it online by going to the U@Penn portal and signing in with your PennKey and password. Click on My Tax to view a pdf of your W-2 that you can print and use for your tax return.

If you cannot view your W-2 online, email with your name, address, and last four digits of your social security number and request that they mail you a replacement.

Reporting Time and Pay Options


You must report your hours worked each week through etimesheets (link below):

Guide to etimesheets for students:


Pay Options


Sign up for Direct Deposit to your bank account online through PennInTouch:

Once logged in, click on "Student Employment" in the menu at left and "Direct deposit for pay/travel"


Work-Study Students can be paid by direct deposit or check:

Non work-study students can be paid by direct deposit or ADP Aline Card:


Viewing Paystubs

You can view your pay stubs by going to the U@Penn portal and signing in with your PennKey and password. Click on My Pay to view pay from current and past weeks.

Getting on the Payroll

Bring an OFFER LETTER from your supervisor to the HR office, Rm 239 of Van Pelt.

Office hours: Tuesday 9 am-4 pm; Wednesday 12-4 pm; Thursday 9 am-12 pm.

We will check to see if you need to complete any other paperwork.
Contact the Student Coordinator, if you have any questions at, 215-898-8109


SAS Doctoral Students:
You must have permission from your department to work. Email permission to


Before you start working, you must complete your payroll paperwork at Library Human Resources, Room 239.

Office hours: Tuesday 9 am-4 pm; Wednesday 12-4 pm; Thursday 9 am-12 pm. 
We will give you forms to fill out and you will need the following:

1) Bring an OFFER LETTER from your supervisor at the Libraries

2) Complete the I-9 online before coming to Human Resources:
Go to Please select University Libraries from the dropdown box.

3) Bring IDENTIFICATION as listed below for I-9 documentation and payroll verification:

U.S Citizens:

  • Social Security Card
  • AND
  • Passport, driver license/state ID, school ID


Permanent Residents:

  • Social Security Card
  • AND
  • Permanent Resident/Green Card


International Students with F-1 or J-1 visas:

  • Social Security Card
  • **If you need to apply for a Social Security Card, we will provide you with authorization to apply when you come to the HR office with your offer letter.
  • Passport
  • Visa
  • I-20 (with F-1 visa) OR DS-2019 (with J-1 visa)
  • I-94 (retrieve from this site: