Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Esri Data & Maps and StreetMap USA
Esri Data & Maps contains many types of map data at many scales of geography. It is available for use by Penn students, faculty, and staff on computers in Van Pelt Library in the Electronic Lookup Center, Moelis, and Goldstein Electronic Classroom on the first floor, in the DataSets > Streetmaps drive. You will need a valid Pennkey to log on. Please read about redistribution rights before redistributing data.
StreetMap North America is a dataset in Smart Data Compression (SDC) format that provides streets display, routing, and for the United States and Canada. It contains 2007 TomTom streets that were enhanced by Esri and TomTom.
Geocoding with Esri StreetMap
Esri Streetmap data is available on computers in Van Pelt Library in the Electronic Lookup Center, Moelis, and Goldstein Electronic Classroom on the first floor, in the DataSets > Streetmaps drive.
- Open ArcMap. It will be in the Applications folder on the Desktop.
- Add table of addresses to be geocoded using Add Data button:.
Use the Connect to Folder button to locate the folder that contains your table; click OK.
Then select your table and click Add.
See requirements for data>>
Tables can be in Excel, CSV, TXT, or DBF formats, must be formatted in a certain way:
- Column names must begin with a letter.
- Column names must contain only letters, numbers, or underscores (no spaces).
- Cells must contain less than 255 characters.
- In the Table of Contents, right-click on the table title and select Geocode Addresses.
- Click Add... in the Choose an Address Locator to Use... menu.
- Use the Connect to Folder button to connect to the Computer > DataSets drive.
- Navigate to the folder Streetmaps > streetmap_na > data
- Add one of the listed address locators according to your needs.
- In the Choose an Address Locator to Use... click on the address locator that you added.
- Proceed with geocoding.
Librarian & Coordinator of Social Sciences Collections
Subjects: African Studies
, Aging Studies
, Data & GIS
, Food Studies
, Health & Societies
, International Relations
, Philadelphia Studies
, Political Science
, Population Studies & Demography
, Public Policy & Administration
, Social Sciences
, Urban Studies