Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Before & After you submit
- Rank your journal/publisher preferences based on your publishing plan
- Ensure that your manuscript is formatted correctly and follows the journal's guidelines
- If you have co-authors, decide who will be in charge of copyright concerns
- Keep a folder with your preprint, postprint, publishing contract, and final version
Read and negotiate your publishing contract
- Use an author addendum and/or negotiate for more rights to your work.
- Journals: Use the SPARC Author Addendum to retain more rights. If the publisher does not accept a SPARC addendum, try to negotiate for things that you want. Publishers often have multiple contract options.
- Note: You are often not required to use the click through agreement. Write to your editor if you would like to submit an addendum or negotiate your agreement
- Make sure to keep track of your manuscript provenance
- Confirm your publisher's policy on the conditions under which you can share your work