Get a Free, Library-Hosted Instance
To get a free, library-hosted instance of Omeka, click the button below or email our Omeka Team to set up an initial consultation. During this consultation you will be asked to provide the following:
- Name for your Omeka Website (which can be changed at a later dated, if needed)
- Web URL (all sites are located at pennds.org, you may select a site slug, ie pennds.org/[yoursiteslug]) - you will only receive one free URL, if you wish to change the URL, you must purchase your own domain name.
- Your desired user name
- You may select to track your site usage with Matomo. To learn more about this free library service, visit the Using Omeka tab.
- You may choose to showcase your site on the Library Digital Projects Page when you are ready to publish your site.
- How should we preserve your site when you are ready to retire it? You may choose 1) creation of a zipped static version of the site, 2) extraction of all site data, 3) renewal of the site agreement if both parties are amenable, or 4) no preservation.
What you get with our hosted instances:
- Free Omeka Classic site
- Access to all Omeka plugins and themes (through the Escher plugin)
- One free pennds.org/yoursite url (if you choose to purchase your own domain, we can help with set up after the purchase!)
- (optional) Matomo site analytics
- Introductory Training Session & additional support at DH Office Hours (see Get Help tab)
Free, Limited Hosting through Omeka
Omeka offers "trial" versions of their sites for free through Omeka.net. To get started:
- Visit https://www.omeka.net/signup
- Click "Start Your Free Trial"
What you get with Omeka.net:
- One Omeka.net externally hosted site
- 8 Plugins: COinS, CSV Import, Exhibit Builder, Library of Congress Suggest, Locale, OAI-PMH Harvester, SharedShelfLink, Simple Pages
- 2 Themes: Berlin, Season
**Please note: the library provides limited troubleshooting for this service**