Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Remote Desktop Lab (rdp-lab) provides access to on campus lab computers. This allows access to software that can't be installed on virtual lab computers including Adobe Creative Cloud applications and GraphPad Prism.
Note: Adobe has changed their licensing policies to require an Adobe ID to run the software. The software is activated at the computer level, but an Adobe ID is needed to log in to use it (no subscription necessary). Students can create a free Adobe ID using any email. Step 1: Visit https://www.adobe.com, Step 2: Click Sign In at the top of the screen, Step 3: Click Create an account.
- Penn’s GlobalProtect VPN client installed and configured.
- Microsoft Remote Desktop application.
- Comes preloaded on Windows computers
- If using a Mac, go to the App Store on your computer, search for Microsoft Remote Desktop and install it.
Accessing the Penn Libraries Remote Desktop Lab in 6 Steps
- Confirm your Kite account password is set.
- The Remote Lab (rdp-lab) relies on KITE credentials which are derived from your PennKey, but may not be the same. Users that had their PennKey created after July 1, 2020 will automatically have their KITE password set to their PennKey password. Users that had their PennKey created prior to July 1, 2020 may need to manually force the credentials to sync by resetting their PennKey password.
- If you reset your PennKey after February 15th, 2021, you don’t need to do it again. Your KITE password has already been sync’d with your PennKey.
- To reset your PennKey password go here: https://weblogin.pennkey.upenn.edu/changeexpiredpassword
- Connect the Penn GlobalProtect VPN.
- Visit the Penn Libraries Remote Lab and download a Remote Desktop shortcut to connect to a lab computer.
- In your web browser, navigate to: https://rdp-lab.library.upenn.edu
- Click on a specific remote lab or the general remote lab to view available workstations.
- Look for a GREEN workstation with status AVAILABLE. Under the Remote column, click the word “Connect” to download a preconfigured Microsoft Remote Desktop shortcut to your computer. Save the file in a location you’ll be able to locate.
- If no workstations are available, you’ll need to check back at a later time.
- Connect to the Remote Lab computer.
- Locate the remote desktop shortcut you downloaded and run it. Sometimes on a Mac, you need to have Microsoft Remote Desktop running before double-clicking on the shortcut.
- This is a remote desktop shortcut. It will attempt to set up a remote session to one of the lab computers in Van Pelt Library. Use these credentials.
- Username: <your_pennkey_name>@kite.upenn.edu
- Password: <your_pennkey_password>
- Click Continue. You’ll see a warning message that the certificate couldn’t be verified, click Continue again. You should see a Windows desktop after about a minute.
- Use the Remote Lab computer.
- Applications are either on the desktop, in the Applications folder, or accessible via the Start menu.
- You cannot save files or settings on the Remote Lab PC. So, be sure to save your work to Google Drive, Box, OneDrive, Canvas or some other cloud storage system.
- If you accidentally close the client, you can reconnect within two hours and resume your session. After being disconnected for two hours, your session will be terminated and any unsaved work lost.
- Disconnect from the Remote Computer
- When you’re done, click on the Start menu icon in the lower left corner of the window.
- Click the word “Power” and then click on “Restart”
Please report any problems to the Library Helpdesk: email@example.com.
GraphPad Prism Lab
Main Remote Lab
- Adobe Photshop 2020
- Adobe InDesign 2020
- Adobe Illustrator 2020
All Remote Lab computers include:
- ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.1
- SPSS 27
- Stata/IC 16
- Microsoft Office Applications
- Google Chrome
- R Studio
- SketchUp 2020