Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Weigle Information Commons receives frequent requests about transcription services. This is not a service we provide at present. We have compiled a list of options below. Please note that Penn Libraries does not endorse any of these vendors.
Fee-based Transcription Services
- Cielo24 - quick turnaround on human transcription.
- Linguistic Data Services - transcription and translation. Linguistic Data Consortium has worked with them.
- Karasch and Associates - captioning and transcription. Weingarten Learning Resources Center has worked with them.
- Automatic Sync Technologies - focuses on captioning but also arranges for transcript creation.
- Datagain - provides transcription for several large universities. Has been used by Penn GSE staff.
Software and Tools for Transcription
- ExpressScribe - Free software for professional transcribers - controls playback speed.
- InqScribe - easy transcription software in use at Penn.
- TransAna - Inexpensive open source software for qualitative research.
- VideoANT - a free tool developed at the University of Minnesota for adding commentary, caption or transcript to any online video.