This research guide page attempts to identify primary-source materials on specific missionary organizations active in Africa, that are available to Penn readers either within the Penn Libraries collections or through Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery. It is very much a work-in-progress.
A mission of the United Church of Christ and earlier Congregationalist organizations.
Primarily a mission for abolition and to education African Americans.
Originally, Society for Missions to Africa and the East (1799-1812); now, Church Mission Society (1995- ).
aka Board of Missions, Sierra Leone.
The London Missionary Society and Commonwealth Missionary Society merged in 1966 as Congregational Council for World Mission. Renamed in 1973 as Council for World Mission (Great Britain).
Name of the Missionary Society was changed in 1904 to Board of Foreign Missions. In May 1939, the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and the Methodist Protestant Church united to form the Methodist Church (U.S.).
Beginning in 1904, SUM worked mainly in Greater Sudan, with missions in Nigeria's Middle Belt and Northern Nigeria and in Sudan. Related missions worked in Chad and Cameroon.
Originally in 1858: Oxford and Cambridge Mission to Central Africa. Became in 1860: Oxford, Cambridge, Dublin and Durham Mission to Central Africa. Merged in 1965 with Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts to become: United Society for the Propagation of the Gospel.