National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
National Center for Education Statistics - The primary federal entity for collecting and analyzing data related to education.
Selected Collections, Publications, and Surveys
Digest of Education Statistics
- National data. Covers number of schools and colleges, teachers, enrollments, and graduates, in addition to educational attainment, finances, federal funds for education, libraries, and international education.
Condition of Education
- Participation in education, elementary/secondary, undergraduate education, learner outcomes, graduation/dropout rates, degree completions, education attainment. 1990-present. Earlier in print.
Common Core of Data (CCD)
Covers public elementary and secondary schools and school districts in the U.S. Data includes total student population, student population by grade, by race, by gender, as well as FTE classroom teachers, student/teacher ratio, and free lunch and reduced-price lunch eligibility. See Public School Search for specific schools.
- High School Longitudinal Study - Nationally representative, longitudinal study of 23,000+ 9th graders from 944 schools in 2009, with a first follow-up in 2012 and a second follow-up in 2016
- Indicators of School Crime and Safety - Suspension, residential placement, victimization, school environment, perceptions, discipline, safety, security.
- National Teacher and Principal Survey (NTPS) - Replaces Schools and Staffing Survey (SASS), data for 2015-16.
- Private School Universe Survey (PSS) - Biennial data. Information collected includes: religious orientation; level of school; size of school; length of school year, length of school day; total enrollment (K-12); number of high school graduates, whether a school is single-sexed or coeducational and enrollment by sex; number of teachers employed; program emphasis; existence and type of kindergarten program
- Projections of Education Statistics to 2022 - Enrollment, graduates, teachers, and expenditures in elementary and secondary schools, and enrollment and earned degrees conferred expenditures of degree-granting institutions.
- Public High School Four-Year On-Time Graduation Rates and Event Dropout Rates
- Schools and Staffing Survey (SASS) - Conducted by NCES between 1987 through 2011. National Teacher and Principal Survey (NTPS)
Other Department of Education Statistical Programs
- Civil Rights Data Collection (CRDC) - Data from the 2000, 2004, 2006, 2009-10, 2011-12. 2013-14, 2015-16 CRDC surveys. Student enrollment, educational programs, services, by race/ethnicity, sex, limited English proficiency and disability.
- Consolidated State Performance Reports - Required annual reporting tool authorized under Section 9303 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA).
- Nation's Report Card - Presents data about the academic achievement of U.S students, drawn from the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), a congressionally mandated project administered by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), within the U.S. Department of Education and the Institute of Education Sciences (IES).
- Title II Reports on the Quality of Teacher Preparation and States' Requirements and Assessments for Initial Credentials