Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Department of Education
National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
National Center for Education Statistics - The primary federal entity for collecting and analyzing data related to education.
- Fast Facts
- Data Tools
ED Data Inventory
- ED Data Inventory is to describe all data reported to the Department of Education, with the exception of personnel and administrative data. It includes data collected as part of grant activities, along with statistical data collected to allow publication of valuable statistics about the state of education in this country. The ED Data Inventory includes descriptive information about each data collection, along with information on the specific data elements in individual collections. The search function is keyword-based, and collects results from the series, study, and variable levels of each data collection. See Data Inventory List
Selected Collections, Publications, and Surveys
Digest of Education Statistics
- National data. Covers number of schools and colleges, teachers, enrollments, and graduates, in addition to educational attainment, finances, federal funds for education, libraries, and international education.
Condition of Education
- Participation in education, elementary/secondary, undergraduate education, learner outcomes, graduation/dropout rates, degree completions, education attainment. 1990-present. Earlier in print.
Common Core of Data (CCD)
Covers public elementary and secondary schools and school districts in the U.S. Data includes total student population, student population by grade, by race, by gender, as well as FTE classroom teachers, student/teacher ratio, and free lunch and reduced-price lunch eligibility. See Public School Search for specific schools.
- Dropouts, Completers and Graduation Rate Reports
- EDGE - Education Demographic and Geographic Estimates
- High School Longitudinal Study - Nationally representative, longitudinal study of 23,000+ 9th graders from 944 schools in 2009, along with followup reports.
- Indicators of School Crime and Safety - Suspension, residential placement, victimization, school environment, perceptions, discipline, safety, security.
- National Household Education Survey Program (NHES) - Collects nationally representative, descriptive data on the educational activities of children and adults in the United States
- National Teacher and Principal Survey (NTPS) - Replaces Schools and Staffing Survey (SASS), data for 2015-16.
- Private School Universe Survey (PSS) - Biennial data. Information collected includes: religious orientation; level of school; size of school; length of school year, length of school day; total enrollment (K-12); number of high school graduates, whether a school is single-sexed or coeducational and enrollment by sex; number of teachers employed; program emphasis; existence and type of kindergarten program
- Projections of Education Statistics to 2022 - Enrollment, graduates, teachers, and expenditures in elementary and secondary schools, and enrollment and earned degrees conferred expenditures of degree-granting institutions.
- Schools and Staffing Survey (SASS) - Conducted by NCES between 1987 through 2011. National Teacher and Principal Survey (NTPS)
- Teacher Performance Evaluations in U.S. Public Schools
Other Department of Education Statistical Programs
- Civil Rights Data Collection (CRDC) - Data from the 2000, 2004, 2006, 2009-10, 2011-12. 2013-14, 2015-16, 2017-18 CRDC surveys. Student enrollment, educational programs, services, by race/ethnicity, sex, limited English proficiency and disability.
- Consolidated State Performance Reports - Required annual reporting tool authorized under Section 9303 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA).
- Nation's Report Card - Presents data about the academic achievement of U.S students, drawn from the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), a congressionally mandated project administered by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), within the U.S. Department of Education and the Institute of Education Sciences (IES).
- Title II Reports on the Quality of Teacher Preparation and States' Requirements and Assessments for Initial Credentials
Librarian & Coordinator for Social Sciences Collections
, Aging Studies
, Data & GIS
, Food Studies
, Health & Societies
, International Relations
, Philadelphia Studies
, Political Science
, Population Studies & Demography
, Public Policy & Administration
, Social Sciences
, Urban Studies
Return to or Visit the ...