Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Special Collections & Archives
Below are important LGBTQIA United States of America special collections resources that Penn Libraries has.
Databases with Archival Resources
Below are archives that specialize in LGBTQIA studies in America. Each listed is a link that leads to the source.
- Archives of Sexuality & Gender: LGBTQ History and Culture since 1940
- Archives of Sexuality & Gender: LGBTQ History and Culture since 1940 is an archival database provided by Gale Cengage Learning. It contains primary source documents about topics and interrelated topics to LGBTQIA History and Culture since 1940.
- Archives Unbound
- Archives Unbound is a Gale Cengage provided archival database that covers a wide range of disciplines in U.S.A. History. It contains primary archival resources across multiple subjects.
Van Pelt Library's Kislak center is where rare and special collections materials are held. Click on the links and read descriptions of the finding aids and other collections.
Here are other local resources and archives within the greater Philadelphia region that are helpful.
William Way LGBTQIA Community Center
- The William Way LGBTQIA Community Center is a non-profit community center serving the LGBTQIA community in the greater Philadelphia region. It was founded in 1975 and currently is located on 1315 Spruce Street in Center City Philadelphia. It houses the John J. Wilcox Archives and a Library that contains a number of different resources that are available for public use.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Archives 1979 - 2013 at the LGBT Center of the University of Pennsylvania
- The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Archives are housed at the LGBT Center of the University of Pennsylvania. They contain resources spanning the years from 1979 - 2013.
Lesbian Herstory Archives
- The Lesbian Herstory Archives are a New York City based lesbian archives that came out of the Gay Academic Union and was founded in 1974 former members to discuss sexism within that GAU.
Philly Aids Thrift @ Giovanni's Room
- Philly Aids Thrift @ Giovanni's Room, formerly known as Giovanni's Room, was founded by Ed Hermanence in 1974 in Center City Philadelphia. It is the premier LGBTQIA bookstore in the greater Philadelphia region and perhaps one of the last remaining LGBTQIA bookstores in the U.S.A. Currently the bookstore is located on the corners of 12th & Pine.