Skip to Main Content
Go to Penn Libraries homepage   Go to Guides homepage

Copyright Resources to Support Publishing and Teaching

A guide for faculty, staff, and students at Penn about how to obtain, manage, and understand copyright issues for their work

How do I request streaming video for my course site?

For information and assistance on formatting films to put into a Canvas site, contact  For more information on streaming titles available from the Penn Libraries for course-required viewing, please see this Cinema & Media Studies LibGuide.

How can I show a film in the classroom which is on VHS but there is no VHS player in the classroom?

If the library owns a copy of the film in VHS format, we will obtain or create a copy in a format that you may use in your classroom.  Please contact the Van Pelt Circulation Department ( ) for assistance.

If you own the copy of the VHS and the library does not have a copy, contact the Audio-Visual person in your school (eg. SAS multimedia).

To check to see if the Penn Libraries owns a copy of a video go to VCat (the Penn Libraries video catalog).

Is it possible to broadcast my classroom videos via the Penn Video Network?

In some cases, it may be possible to broadcast video for classes through the closed circuit Penn Video Network.  For more information, see or  contact

Need help?

For further assistance with copyright issues, you can begin with your subject specialist. You can also contact our Cinema Studies specialist for further assistance or referrals.

For questions about use of materials on reserve, contact Van Pelt Reserves or the librarian at your reserve location.

Additional Resources

Penn Libraries Home Franklin Home
(215) 898-7555