The Veterinarian's Oath concludes "I accept as a lifelong obligation the continual improvement of my professional knowledge and competence," and the Penn Veterinary Library is committed to help you fulfill that aim.
- You'll always be welcome at the Vet library. Remember that building access requires a student/staff PennCard so please time your visits for normal working hours. Evening and weekend access may be available at the other Penn Libraries.
- The library staff is here to help. If you are navigating new information territory and would like guidance or a refresher, don't hesitate to ask.
While license restrictions limit nearly all of our electronic subscriptions to current Penn students and staff or to on-campus use, some options are available:
- To use the computers in the Vet Library or other Penn Libraries, alumni must have (1) an Alumni PennCard and (2) a one-day credential. Credentials are issued at Van Pelt library to the first 10 alumni requesting each day. More information....
- The Penn libraries have purchased alumni subscriptions to general interest online databases with some full text, including some veterinary and medical titles.
- Your RefWorks bibliographic management account will remain available after graduation.
- PubMed, Agricola, Consultant and IVIS and other resources are free online. New grads may purchase a subscription to VetMed (version of CAB Abstracts limited to veterinary topics) or RCVS, or a discounted subscription to VIN (Veterinary Information Network). See the E-Resources tab for more options.
- VIN subscribers and others can order copies of articles from the UC Davis veterinary library for a fee.
- Alumni who would like to borrow physical materials from the Library may apply for courtesy borrowing privileges at the special alumni rate of $200.00 per year. An Alumni PennCard is required. To apply, visit the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Circulation desk or call (215) 898-7555 for information.