Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Veterinarian's Oath concludes "I accept as a lifelong obligation the continual improvement of my professional knowledge and competence," and the Penn Veterinary Library is committed to help you fulfill that aim.
- You'll always be welcome at the Vet library. Remember that building access requires a student/staff PennCard so please time your visits for normal working hours. Evening and weekend access may be available via the Van Pelt library .
- The library staff is here to help. If you are navigating new information territory and would like a refresher guide, don't hesitate to ask.
While license restrictions limit nearly all of our electronic subscriptions to current Penn students and staff or to on-campus use, some options are available:
- To use the computers in the Vet Library or other Penn Libraries, alumni must have (1) an Alumni PennCard and (2) a one-day credential. Credentials are issued at Van Pelt library to the first 10 alumni requesting each day. More information....
- The Penn libraries have purchased alumni subscriptions to general interest online databases with some full text, including some veterinary and medical titles.
- Your RefWorks bibliographic management account will remain available after graduation.
- PubMed, Agricola, Consultant and IVIS and other resources are free online. New grads may purchase a subscription to VetMed (version of CAB Abstracts limited to veterinary topics) or RCVS, or a discounted subscription to VIN (Veterinary Information Network). See the E-Resources tab for more options.
- VIN subscribers can order copies of articles from the UC Davis veterinary library for a fee.
- Alumni who would like to borrow materials from the Library may apply for courtesy borrowing privileges at the special alumni rate of $200.00 per year. An Alumni PennCard is required. To apply, visit the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Circulation desk or call (215) 898-7556 for information.
- Professional librarians are on duty between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM weekdays. Library reference chat may be available at other times.
- Penn Alumni may use the extensive print collections for their information needs.
- A consultation appointment is recommended if you anticipate needing librarian assistance. For reference services, call 215-898-8895, complete our web form, or email at email@example.com.
Penn Veterinary Medicine Librarian