It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Vault is FBI's FOIA Library, presenting ~7,000 documents scanned from paper for online viewing and PDF downloading. Many of the files listed below from commercial vendors are available here, at no charge.
American Politics and Society from Kennedy to Watergate (1960-1975). (ProQuest History Vault.)
Date range: 1967-1976. 2 folders.
Includes profiles of WUO members and WUO publications, speeches, written statements, press releases, radio broadcast transcripts, interviews, and conference notes, with some SDS materials.
Date range: 1934-1980. 93 folders.
Covers the KKK, American Nazi Party, and other white supremacy and anti-semitic groups. Include speeches, pamphlets, manuals, letters, memoranda, photographs, posters, interviews, circulars, newsletters, radio and television transcripts, and court documents.
Date range: 1956-1971. 602 folders (87,391 images).
Compiles independent subcollections:
• COINTELPRO: The counterintelligence program of the FBI. Covers CPUSA, New Left, Socialist Workers Party, White Hate Groups, Black Nationalist Hate Groups, Cuban Matters, Mexican Border Coverage, Puerto Rican Independence Groups, Yugoslav Emigres, Espionage, Hoodwink, Special Operations.
• FBI file on Abbie Hoffman.
• FBI file on Cesar Chavez and the United Farm Workers.
• FBI file on the Brown Berets (Los Boinas Cafes).
• FBI file on the fire bombing and shooting at Kent State University.
• FBI File on the Students for a Democratic Society and the Weatherman Underground Organization.
Date range: 1920-1984. 1,293 folders (88,021 images).
Compiles independent subcollections:
• FBI file : MIBURN (Mississippi Burning).
• FBI file on A. Philip Randolph.
• FBI file on Adam Clayton Powell.
• FBI file on the Atlanta Child Murders (ATKID).
• FBI file on the Black Panther Party, North Carolina.
• FBI file on the Committee for Public Justice.
• FBI file on Elijah Muhammed.
• FBI file on the Highlander Folk School.
• FBI file on the Ku Klux Klan murder of Viola Liuzzo.
• FBI file on Malcolm X. NB. This supersedes other versions of this file.
• FBI file on the Moorish Science Temple of America.
• FBI file on the murder of Lemuel Penn.
• FBI file on Muslim Mosque, Inc..
• FBI file on the NAACP [1923-1957].
• FBI file on the National Negro Congress.
• FBI file on the Organization of Afro-American Unity (OAAU).
• FBI file on Paul Robeson.
• FBI file on the Reverend Jesse Jackson.
• FBI file on Roy Wilkins.
• FBI file on the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee.
• FBI file on Thurgood Marshall.
• FBI file on W. E. B. Du Bois.
• FBI investigation file on Communist infiltration of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.
• FBI investigation file on Marcus Garvey.
Date range: 1941-1990. 276 folders (71,934 images).
Source: Personal collection of Gerald Horne.
A broad range of topics are covered in this file on the African American member of the Communist Party USA, Harlem activist, and two-term New York City Councilman.
Date range: 1908-1933. 36 folders (2,796 images).
Covers Indian nationalists abetted by Germany in World War I. Mostly Immigration and Naturalization Service files and Justice Department files, including scattered Bureau of Investigation documents.
Date range: 1970-1985. 65 folders (11,513 images).
Covers the African Liberation Support Committee (ALSC) and All African People’s Revolutionary Party (A-APRP), two African American groups supporting the liberation struggles in Africa and Pan-Africanism. Includes State Department surveillance files on African Americans traveling to Africa.
Date range: 1940-1978. 188 folders (29,061 images).
Includes the World War II-era Custodial Detention Index and postwar Security List/Adminstrative List, naming espionage or subversive suspects. Includes World War II Japanese American files. Folders may contain coversheets for many pages that have been withheld.
Date range: 1963-2002 (FBI content: 1976-2002). ~1,500 documents (FBI content: 41 documents).
Includes field reporting and analyses from the FBI and other US intelligence agencies. Also includes documents indicating the FBI knew of 9/11-like terror actions prior to 2001.
Date range: 1977-1984 (FBI content: 1980-1984). ~5,600 documents (FBI content: 301 documents).
Previously unpublished congressional and executive-branch documents. FBI content mostly focuses on the Churchwomen murder investigation and other human rights crimes. Includes documents from FBI legal attachés in overseas embassies.
Date range: 1969-2005 (FBI content: 1972-1987). 2,842 documents (FBI content: 69 documents).
FBI content focuses mostly on the Orlando Letelier assassination by Chilean agents aided by anti-Castro Cuban exiles and the Cubana Flight 455 bombing by anti-Castro Cuban exiles in 1976.
Starting with President Clinton's directive to declassify documents from many federal agencies on Chile's human rights record under Pinochet, the freely-available US Department of State FOIA Virtual Reading Room has included FBI documents in these collections: