The library provides access to two kinds of electronic resources: Internal resources, i.e., the on-line Library Catalogue and CD-ROMs, and external resources, i.e., resources reached via the Internet.
- Franklin is the name of the on-line catalog for all of Penn's library holdings, including those of the Library at the Katz CAJS. It is available through the library's main homepage: www.library.upenn.edu.
- RAMBI (articles in Jewish Studies indexed from 1966 to present), Index to Israeli Periodicals, and Index to Yiddish Newspapers. This fundamental resource is also on the "Databases" web-page via Franklin (see below, under external resources).
At the workstations of the Library Reading Room at the Katz CAJS, located on the second floor, you will find the following full-text databases:
- Bar Ilan's Judaic Library version 11 [Bar Ilan University Responsa Project] (available at a public terminal in the CAJS library reading room). This important resource is now available and fully-searchable on-line via our e-resource tool. Just search "find it" for the Bar Ilan Responsa Project
- CETEDOC Library of Christian Latin Texts (CD-ROM) [NB: the Corpus Christianorum is now searchable on-line via the Penn Library's e-resource tool. Search "Find it" by "Corpus Christianorum" or go to http://clt.brepolis.net/clt/start.asp?sOwner=menu
- The Bibliography of the Hebrew Book. This important resource alos now available and fully-searchable on-line via our e-resource tool. Just search "find it" for the Bibliography of the Hebrew Book
- The Complete Maus: a Survivor's Tale, by Art Spiegelman
- Encyclopedia Judaica (2nd edition now available to Penn users on-line
- The Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament (Koehler, Baumgartner, and Stamm)
- The Hebrew Bible, the Babylonian and Jerusalem Talmud, The Midrashim
- Index Islamicus
- Index to Hebrew Periodicals
- Menasseh ben Israel [electronic resource] : a digital collection of seventeenth-century Jewish printing in Amsterdam / edited by J.J.M. de Haas, A.K. Offenberg and M.G. Ootjers
- Packard Humanities Index
- Sol and Evelyn Henkind Talmud Text Databank = Ma'agar 'ede nusah shel ha-Talmud ha-Bavli (Saul Lieberman Institute for Talmudic Research; Bar Ilan University) (available in library at public terminal 2)
- Spanish and Portuguese printing in the Northern Netherlands, 1584-1825 / Harm den Boer
- Thesaurus Lingua Graeca
Since we have a limited number of licenses for these databases, they are not available on all PC's. If you work frequently with any of them and require convenient access from your office, please see Mark Davidson, IT Support Specialist (Dmark@upenn.edu) .
External Resources available via the internet
The Library home page provides access to world wide web and on-line catalogs of other University Libraries as well as several useful general library databases, which contain tens of millions of catalogue records.
Click on "Catalogs" (on the right) and select:
- BORROWDIRECT: Search the combined collections of the Columbia, Penn, and Yale Libraries and directly request books not currently available at Penn.
- E-ZBORROW: Search over 40 academic and research libraries in Pennsylvania and nearby states, including: Rutgers, Penn State, Temple, and Pittsburgh.
- WORLDCAT [OCLC]: The most consulted database in higher education, containing over 42 million cataloging records, in over 400 languages, created by libraries around the world. Offers a comprehensive online searching, "First Search," with more than 85 databases and 7 million full-text articles.