HOW TO BORROW BOOKS FROM NON-PENN LIBRARIES (BorrowDirect/E-ZBorrow/Interlibrary Loans)
You have the option of either picking up your BorrowDirect and E-ZBorrow requests at the Van Pelt library or of having the books sent, via the bi-weekly shuttle van to the CAJS library. To route your BorrowDirect and/or E-ZBorrow request directly to the CAJS library, please note the following procedure:
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to speak to any members of the staff of the Library at the Katz CAJS about this service.
- BORROWDIRECT: Allows you to search the combined collections of Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, MIT, Penn, Princeton, the University of Chicago, Yale, and the Center for Research Libraries and directly request books not currently available at Penn. BorrowDirect books are checked out on your library patron record. The loan period is sixteen weeks and is not renewable.
- E-ZBORROW: Allows you to search the combined collections and directly request books not currently available at Penn from over 40 public and private academic and research libraries in Pennsylvania and nearby states, including Penn State, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Temple, Haverford, Swarthmore, Bryn Mawr and Lehigh. E-ZBorrow books are checked out on your library patron record. The loan period is twelve weeks and is not renewable.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
If you cannot find what you need in Franklin, or via BorrowDirect or E-ZBorrow, you may be able to borrow books from other academic libraries.
- Books borrowed from other libraries by Interlibrary Loan normally take 7-14 days to arrive.
- Some ILL books are renewable, but the status of each book is determined by the lending institution. Whether or not it is renewable is indicated on the information slip attached to every ILL book. If an ILL book is renewable, requests for a renewal must be made 7 days prior to the due date.
- Please return ILL books promptly.