Instructions for importing references from hundreds of specific databases are available at the RefWorks website
What is Refworks?
- Create a personal database online
- Import references automatically from most research databases and library catalogs
- Organize and annotate references
- Format references and bibliographies in Microsoft Word documents
Using Refworks with Microsoft Word
Write-N-Cite allows you to add references to a Word manuscript from your RefWorks account. Download Write-N-Cite by accessing your RefWorks account, selecting "Write-N-Cite" found in the "Tools" drop-down menu, and following the installation instructions.
When accessing Write-N-Cite from off campus you will be asked for a "group code."
Options for Refworks users who leave Penn
Faculty, staff and students use a Library subscription. Former affiliates need alternative access.
Penn graduates are eligible for a free RefWorks Alumni account. Sign-up for it by following these steps. You can then access RefWorks with this Group Code: RWAlumni
Former Faculty, Staff, and Non-Alumni
If you are leaving the University but will not have the status of "Alumni" then you aren't eligible for an Alumni account; however, there are other options:
- Purchase your own personal RefWorks account. See here for more information.
- Transfer to a new institutional RefWorks account If one is available to you.
- Export the references in your RefWorks account into another software package such as Zotero or EndNote. More information on this options is here.
- Print out all your RefWorks citations and notes for future use.
NIH Public Access Compliant Citations
The NIH has revised their policy for submissions to require the PubMed Central reference number be included in documents submitted to the NIH.
References pulled from Pubmed using RefWorks will automatically contain PMCID's if they exisit in the PubMed record. Choose the "NIH - National Institutes of Health" output style when creating a grant related Word document.
More information is available on our NIH Public Access Policy Guide.