Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Library Delivery Services
You may renew your library books online through your library account unless the book has been recalled or has become long overdue (lost). You may also bring books in person to the library to renew them. Resource Sharing items (BorrowDirect, E-ZBorrow, Interlibrary Loan) may not be renewed.
What are the renewal limits?
There are no renewal limits for Penn faculty, staff and students. Courtesy borrowers may renew books for up to one year (12 renewals).
- Books that are long overdue (28 days or more) are considered lost and may not be renewed.
- Books that have been recalled for another user may not be renewed.
- Reserve materials may not be renewed online.
- Bestsellers (Van Pelt Library) may not be renewed.
- Videos may be renewed once, for an additional six weeks (42 days).
How do you renew books?
If you have a PennKey:
- Go to the Libraries Homepage.
- At the top right of the navy blue area, click "Penn Library Account."
- Click “Login with Pennkey” even you’ve already logged in once.
- Click on the "Loans" tab.
- Click on the renew button for items you wish to renew. Alternatively, click "Renew all."
- If you are at a public computer, exit the browser in order to protect the confidentiality of your record.
If you do not have a Pennkey:
- Simply click “No Pennkey? Click Here” and follow the above steps
- Verify the results of your renewal request by noting the new due date.
- The renewal option will not appear if your record is blocked for any reason, including fines, overdue recalls, or exceeding the charged items limit. Please contact the appropriate library for assistance.
- Return items that could not be renewed to the library as soon as possible.
- Faculty and Term-loan borrowers should not renew books prior to one month before the due date.
- If you bring renewed books into the library, you must take them to the Circulation Desk to have them stamped with the new due date in order to take them back out of the building.
Back to Van Pelt Library Homepage
Contact us at the Van Pelt Library Circulation Desk:
For library account concerns and questions about building and database access e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org