The Lean Library Library Access Browser Extension allows you to easily access Penn Libraries' licensed content from your laptop or desktop computer when off-campus. Lean Library also offers a mobile app version called Academic Browser for iOS.
How it Works
- Content licensed by Penn: Once installed and depending on the settings you select, when you land on content licensed by Penn Libraries, links to the full-text version of that publication will appear on the page or a pop-up will direct you to login to access full-text.
- .Finds ebooks and shows alternative access points
- Content not licensed: For content that the Penn Libraries does not license, the extension will also automatically use an available Digital Object Identifier (DOI) to check unpaywall for a free, open-access versions. (See more on unpaywall sources).
Also when appropriate, a pop-up will appear that guides you to make an Interlibrary loan request through the Penn Libraries, if you wish.
- Search engine integrations: When you use Google Scholar or PubMed, Lean Library will enable direct PennText links in the search results. Through the PennText links, you can check for access to electronic and print holdings.
Installing Lean Library
Download the Browser Extension
- These browsers are supported: Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, and Opera (also Internet Explorer upon request). Note: Lean Library tests their new releases against the latest versions of these browsers. The extension for Opera needs to be manually updated; for other browsers the update process is automatic. **NOTE. As of 15 June, 2022 Lean Library will not longer be available on Internet Explorer. While the extension should continue to work, the recommendation is that one moves to another supported browser.
Download the free iPhone and iPad App
Download Academic Browser at the Apple App Store.
Select library - University of Pennsylvania
If you are affiliated with multiple institutions that subscribe to Library Access, you can select more than one library from the pull down menu.
Decide the pop-up and timer options
Choose whether or not to skip pop-ups when accessing licensed materials. As the Library may provide customized information in the pop-up, we recommend leaving the box unchecked.