Most electronic resources can be accessed from the Penn Library website through PennKey authentication. However, in cases where you go directly to a publisher's site without having logged in ("proxied") as a Penn user, you will not be recognized as having access. For these cases, the EZproxy Browser Bookmarklet will allow you to log in without first going back to the Penn Library web site.
Once added you will see UPenn Proxy in your menu bar. Click on UPenn Proxy and the proxy prefix is added to the URL and the work, if Penn has access, will be accessible. Instructions for adding the bookmarklet are below.
Firefox - Right-click on this link: EZproxy and select the "Bookmark This Link":
Google Chrome - Drag this link: EZproxy to your bookmarks toolbar.
Internet Explorer - Right-click on this link: EZproxy and select the "Add to Favorites..." option.
Edge - Right-click on this link: EZproxy and select the "Add to reading list" option.
Safari - Drag this link: EZproxy to your bookmarks toolbar:
A browser may warn you that the link may be unsafe, but this is okay, go ahead and add it.
iPhone / iPod / iPad
- Open Safari on your iOS device.
- Select and copy the text below:
- Click and hold down the open book at the bottom of the screen and choose "Add Bookmark"
- If desired, rename bookmark "UPenn Proxy." Save.
- Return to Bookmark Favorites. Choose Edit.
- Delete the web address and substitute the proxy URL you copied from the box above.
- Save the bookmark.
Support for bookmarklets varies considerably among Android devices depending on the operating systems and browsers used. The methods described below have been verified to work with the majority of devices running Android 4.0 or above; it may not work with your particular Android device, especially if the device runs an older Android version due to built-in limitations.
1. Create a bookmark named "UPenn EZproxy" following all the steps described for iPhone/iPod/iPad.
2. When a web site requires authentication, click the "UPenn EZproxy." If you have not logged in already, you will be redirected through the login page. You will then be returned to the resource with access. If this doesn't work, try the next method.
The latest android devices like the Nexus 5 phone and Nexus 7 tablet come with the Google Chrome browser. Alternatively, you may have downloaded Chrome to use as your primary browser.
1. Create a bookmark named "UPenn EZproxy" following all the steps described for iPhone/iPod/iPad (as in Method 1).
2. For Chrome, things are a bit less intuitive. You cannot directly access it via bookmarks. Instead, you need to type the name of the bookmarklet in the ADDRESS BAR of the Chrome Browser (e.g start typing “UPenn EZproxy” if that’s what you named it). Then select the bookmarklet when it appears in the drop-down menu.